Skip to main content

Aliya Mustafina - 'My family do not worship sports'

Matthew Hicks translates this 28th December interview with Aliya Mustafina, from Novaya Gazeta.




The last year more than compensated for all that Aliya went through in the year leading up to the Olympics in London – a serious injury, surgery and a long recovery. Not surprisingly, Aliya won Sportswoman of 2012 at a post-Olympic Kremlin-hosted ball. Novaya Gazeta interviewed the champion:

NG: Aliya, back in London, responding on the significance of your victory, you spoke that your greatest achievement is yet to come.

AM: I’m simply a sportswoman, a normal person. In the real world, I’m a nobody. In gymnastics, yes Olympic Champion, but in everyday life I’m just another person...like in school studies

NG: Do you study sports?

AM: No, I am at the Gubkin Oil and Gas Institute, in the economics and management department. I’ve always liked exact sciences. At school, physics and mathematics are my favorite subjects. They come easiest to me, probably because I’m most interested in them. Some people say physics in not interesting. But is it not interesting, for example, to understand how the laws of nature work?

NG: Your mom is a physics teacher. Perhaps it’s in the genes?

AM: Maybe. We haven’t even studied physics in my grade, yet my mom is already reading me advanced books on the subject.

NG: The girls on the team say that you can calculate all the results from the competitions in your head. Is that true?

AM: Well, not exactly. Katya Kurbatova was also on the team that won World’s and she is also excellent at math.

NG: Aliya, admit it, you’ve cried more this past year than ever before in your life!

AM: Not any more.

NG: The recovery process after that injury took almost an entire year?

AM: Yes and it tested me greatly. It changed me, externally and internally. I rose to the occasion and began to work in a different way on all events. The old me was like a child. After the injury I became an adult.

NG: That’s gymnastics ...

AM: And it’s also like that in life. I realized that because of my goals I didn’t have a right to give up, no matter how hard things got. The goal was to get to the Olympic Games. And not to just get there, but to help the team win a medal. Then can come the tears.

AG: In all the competitions that you competed in, tell us about how you compete.

AM: I always try not to think about the excess–the main thing is to do your job. How well we each do, that will be the final result. I understood that when we won the world championships. We felt that we could beat anybody. The excitement remained, and I didn’t want to stop there. When I was recovering from surgery, I watched all the competitions. I didn’t panic. Nobody was doing anything that I couldn’t handle. Of course the responsibilities of the Olympics were greater than other meets. The Olympics don’t come along everyday, and not everyone gets there. I cannot say that that responsibility came lightly. In my mind I told myself to simply do my job, and that was all. I worked for 12 years to lay it on the line on the Olympic stage. Six months before the Olympics I was still far from being in gold medal form. It was tough to force myself to work hard, and the doubt that I could make it constantly surrounded me.

AG: Sometimes it seemed as though you’d never make it?

AM: Yes. Sometimes it seemed like I could do no more; like I wanted to give up. But such thoughts came quickly and vanished just as quickly. I understood that I had to suffer to get to the Games. Once I got there things would be easier.

AG: Did your family support you?

AM: We have a normal family and don’t worship sports. But it is understood that sport is important in life – my father was a 1976 Olympic Bronze Medalist in Greco-Roman wrestling – but he didn’t force his goals on me. Only sometimes when I was little would he say, “Come on Aliya, you need to train hard to become world champion.” But I’m not sure whether he just said that or actually meant it. Mom and dad did not sit for hours in the gym, like many parents do when their children start gymnastics. My parents knew that in sport I could learn about all of life’s difficulties. They respect my decisions. Even if I wanted to be done with gymnastics, they know it would be useless to try and discourage me.

AG: The status of being a leader can be great but also has its obligations. The girls on the team are like a family. Has anything changed?

AM: I don’t even think about that. A leader is someone who competes well at all meets. But when we train, we’re all the same. I don’t carry around a big head. When I became world champion two years ago, I wondered if things would change within me. They didn’t. Achieving something earth-shattering didn’t change anything. My pride comes from my soul, from within myself. I say to myself, “there’s the event, now go work.” I became an Olympic Champion, my dream came true, good job, but why should that change me? I don’t have any different friends now than I did before the Games. The ones who supported me before are still here, not complaining.

AG: Well, all the same, Aliya, Olympic Champion, were you born like this or did you work for it?

AM: A lot of desire and hard work got me here. How can you become Olympic Champion if you sit around and do nothing?

AG: It is often said that champions have a character of iron.

AM: Well yes. I compact myself into a fist of iron and compete like that, like I did in Rotterdam and in London on the bars.

AG: You seem like a pretty relaxed, low-key person.

AM: Well, it just looks that way (laughs). Am I outgoing? Probably. More yes than no. But I like to hang out with my friends and have fun and be the center of attention. But I don’t really like being in a big crowd of people.

AG: Will you try for another Olympic cycle?

AM: I really want it. I’ll certainly try...


With many thanks to Matthew for his work!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the post Queen Elizabeth.. I really like how particularly she shows her maturity in responding questions,cleverness and awareness of life and above all her determination to overcome such obstacle in pursuing her dream.This shows it all a true champion spirit,and obviously the hard work must continue not just in sport but in every day life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work with translation! Small correction though- insted "Mom and dad sat for hours in the gym" she said exactly opposite - no, they didn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much - I have checked and made the correction.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for translating the article, I guess it was a new interview :)

    Great answers, she has obviously matured and she knew that she had to work hard to attain her goals. I wish others would realize that as well. I hope she can make the next cycle, she just needs to keep working hard and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big fan of Aliya. I was so happy when she won the gold medal in London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really admire her courage and determination. Aliya will always be my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE 23/9 - Russian WAG team for Nanning confirmed

Daria Spiridonova will compete at her first World Championships this autumn.  Picture : RGF Natalia Kalugina has confirmed the Russian team for Nanning : Aliya Mustafina, Maria Kharenkova, Tatiana Nabieva,Ekaterina Kramarenko, Alla Sosnitskaya, Daria Spiridonova.  Reserve : Polina Fyodorova Here is a paraphrased translation of a comment by Natalia Kalugina on her Facebook page : 'Aliya has confidence in competition and she is, kind of, a coach to this team.  In Europe she succeeded in this role and she has told the coaches that she even liked it. The main fighting force will be Kharenkova, Sosnitskaya and Spiridonova.  Accordingly, the strongest apparatus will be beam (Marina Bulashenko With God!).  The Chinese women, of course, have been known to win that apparatus, but if one falls, they all fall.   Alla Sosnitskaya could compete in the vault final, and - in theory - on the floor. On bars, of course, Russia will probably lose to the Chinese women, but they should be able to hold

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ

Kapitanova or Tutkhalyan? The ever changing seas of Russian gymnastics

Tutkhalyan and Melnikova - gymnastics dynamite and Russia's not so secret weapon for the Rio Olympics Just as I was about to go to bed last night one of our readers posted a link to a Tass article in which Valentina Rodionenko repeats the team membership for Europeans, but with a significant change, replacing Seda Tutkhalyan with Natalia Kapitanova as a reserve.  This Allsport article , linked on the RGF website this morning, still includes Seda as reserve.  I give up; there is never a final word.  Team selections are a difficult thing and especially so with injury rates in the sport as high as they are.  Media reports are unreliable.  Or Valentina changes her mind as often as she changes her fur coats.  Only one thing is for sure.  We will know who will compete when the teams walk out into the arena on Wednesday 1st June.  Maybe. Aside from the obvious observation - how must it affect the girls to be so unsure? - I'm going to repeat again how disappointed I am with this

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more